Is Your Home Properly Insured When You Are Not In Residence?

Most homeowner’s insurance policies cover the dwelling where you, the homeowner, reside. Renter’s insurance provides similar coverage for renters. What happens if you are not in residence?

Consider the following situations

  • You go through settlement on your new home and spend a couple of weeks stripping wallpaper, painting, recarpeting, and making repairs and updates before you officially move in. Even though you are spending all your waking hours working on your new place, you are residing elsewhere.
  • You move into the home of your dreams and are waiting for your previous house to sell. Even though you have insurance on both places, you are no longer living at your former address.
  • Your home is damaged (by fire, flood, storm, vandalism, etc.) and you move to temporary quarters during the remodeling. Even though you check on the progress of the repairs daily, you are not in residence.
  • You are involved in an accident that requires hospitalization followed by treatment in a rehabilitation facility. Even though you intend to return home as quickly as possible, your home is considered vacant.
  • The same is true when you receive work orders that require a temporary relocation or deployment. Even though you will return, you no longer reside here.
  • Your family home is unoccupied due to death or divorce, or it may have temporary occupants due to a change in circumstances. Again, you no longer reside

Because of a higher risk of vandalism, unreported fires, undetected water damage, and other problems that go unnoticed in unoccupied homes, courts and insurance claims adjusters may take the position that a homeowner’s policy only applies if the homeowner is in residence at the time of the claim. Intention to return or to take up residence in the near future is not good enough. Check Long and Foster’s Vacant Home Insurance Program to cover the times
when you are not in residence.



  • Vacant or unoccupied homes are not properly protected by their current homeowner’s policy.
  • After 60 days, coverage is excluded for vandalism and malicious mischief.
  • Obtaining coverage for a vacant property can be time consuming and very expensive!

SOLVED With Long & Foster’s Vacant Home Insurance Program!

  • Priced well below market
  • Example: Listing Price: $200,000 Listing Term: 90 days
  • Premium: $438 vs. $750 through typical vacant home insurance market
  • Premiums are pro-rated for the actual coverage term; we must be notified within 30 days of sale.
  • Premiums must be paid prior to binding coverage.
  • Broader coverage than the typical Vacant Home policy.
  • Simplified underwriting
  • Frozen water pipe losses covered if water turned off or heat maintained
  • Properties must be well maintained and in move in condition. Coastal properties or properties undergoing renovation may be underwritten separately.
  • Underwritten by a premier insurance company rated A+ by A.M. Best’s Key Rating Guide

A simple solution to a difficult situation.
Obtain a vacant home insurance quote from your current agent.
Then call us for the best coverage and premium!